Friday, August 29, 2008

If She can read "My Pet Goat," she's qualified.

I liked this video because it shows the infamous Bush/9-11 classroom scene without break, and also includes sporadic, yet relevant contradictory audio quotes, but without it feeling intrusive.

Bush in classroom on 9/11 with his commentary!



Video Transcript:

George Bush (August 21, 2001): We recognize it’s a dangerous world. I know this nation still has enemies. And we cannot expect them to be idle. And that’s why security, is my first responsibility. And I will not permit any course that leaves America undefended.

~~~~
Former White House Counterterrorism Chief Richard Clarke Gives sworn testimony to the 9/11 Commission: I was officially frustrated that I asked to be reassigned. And I thought, if the Administration doesn’t believe it’s national coordinator for counterterrorism, when he says there’s an urgent problem, and if it’s unprepared to act as though there’s an urgent problem, then probably I should get another job.

Unknown (but whom I assume to be a congressman): You then write a letter, or a memo, on September the 4th to Dr. Rice, expressing some of these frustrations. You urge policy makers to imagine a day, after hundreds of Americans lay dead at home and abroad after a terrorist attack, and ask themselves, what else they could have done. You write this on September the 4th, seven days before September 11th.

Richard Clarke: That’s right.
~~~~

At this point, a video caption comes on that says:
"September 11th, 2001

8:46:40 American Airlines flight 11 crashes into the World Trade Center's North Tower."

George Bush: I was sitting outside the classroom, waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower [At this point, a video caption comes on that says "the first plane hitting the World Trade Center was not broadcast until that evening."] -- the tv was obviously on -- I used to fly myself, and I said, “well there’s one terrible pilot. It must have been a horrible accident.”
~~~~
Interviewer (Tim Russert?): Where were you when you first learned a plane had struck the World Trade Center?

Dick Cheney: Well I was in my office, Tuesday morning, Monday I’d been in Kentucky and the President had been in the White House. Tuesday, our roles are sort of reversed, he was in Florida and I was in the White House, Tuesday morning. And a little before 9, my speech writer came in -- there were some speeches coming up -- and my secretary called in, just before we were starting the meeting, just before 9 O’clock, and said an airplane had hit the World Trade Center -- that was the first one that had went in. So we turned on the television, and watched for a few minutes, and then actually saw the second plane hit, the World Trade Center. And as soon as that second plane showed up, that’s what triggered the thought; Terrorism.

Interviewer: You sensed immediately, this is deliberate?

Dick Cheney: I’d given word to Andy Card’s staff, who’s right next door, to get hold of Andy, and/or the President, and I wanted to talk to him, as soon as I could (hook?) it up.
~~~~
George Bush: But you’re not going to believe what state I was in when I heard about the terrorist attack. I was in Florida. And, my chief of staff, Andy Card -- actually I was in a classroom, talking about a reading program, that works! -- I was sitting outside the classroom, waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower -- the tv was obviously on -- I used to fly myself, and I said, “well there’s one terrible pilot. It must have been a horrible accident.” But I was whisked off there and didn’t have much time to think about it. And Andy Card, my Chief of Staff, who’s sitting over here, walked in and said “A second plane has hit the tower, America is under attack.”

I was thinking about what it meant for America to be under attack, it was an amazing thought.
~~~~
Unknown (Dick Cheney?): I think the, um, why somebody would do what he does.
~~~~
George Bush: I had realized, there on the ground in Florida, we were under attack.
~~~~
Dick Cheney: You don’t know what’s happening. We don’t by know who, we don’t know how many additional planes are coming. We don’t know, well, his plans for us at that point, but we’d be absolute fools to not go into button down mode and leave us leaderless in a moment of crisis.
~~~~
Rudy Giuliani: And we believed that we would be attacked many more times that day.
~~~~
George Bush: I need to know what the facts were, but I knew I needed to act. I knew that, If the Nation’s under attack, that the role of the commander in chief, is to respond forcefully, to prevent other attacks from happening.
~~~~
George Bush: Immediately following the first attack, I implemented our government’s emergency response plans. Our military is powerful, and it’s prepared.
~~~~
George Bush: I gave our military the orders necessary to protect Americans - do whatever it would take to protect Americans.
~~~~
Dick Cheney: When something like this happens, we’ve got certain propagations and you’ve got to carry out. And those did for the President, they did for me.
~~~~
George Bush: They have roused a mighty giant.
~~~~
Dick Cheney: He made some key decisions that were very important to the operation.

Interviewer: What’s the most important decision you think he made?

Dick Cheney: I suppose the toughest decision was whether or not we would intercept commercial aircraft. Doesn’t do any good to put up combat air patrol if you don’t give them instructions, to act, if in fact, they feel it’s appropriate.
~~~~
George Bush: The President of the United States’ most solemn responsibility, is to keep this country secure.
~~~~
George Bush: Where there is suffering, there is duty, the president himself must be responsible.
~~~~
George Bush: Anyway, it was an interesting day.

(But just in case, here's the boring one without the "spin")

Bush's Seven Minutes of Silence



Sooooooooo...


By now, we pretty much all know which one is John McCain, and which one is Sarah Palin, and what their relationship to each other is.





Now, she's had five kids. So I'm assuming she's had plenty of experience with reading chidren's books.

So I just wanted to say, if McCain were to suddenly kick the bucket, Clearly, her ability to read children's books amply qualifies her to run the country upon learning that all of our lives are in imminent danger.

2 comments:

Kevin said...

I wonder how Mrs. McCain (#2) feels about the new running mate who looks very attractive? Considering Mr. McCain cheated on wife #1 and got engaged to #2 before his divorce was finalized, I would say Mrs. McCain (#2) is probably a bit worried...

Anonymous said...

TO PRESIDENT-ELECT OBAMA

The president may allocate
His time so as he chooses--
However, let me plainly state
That when a man peruses

A reader meant for grammar school
Before a bunch of tots,
He acts more than a simple fool--
Reciting childish plots.

O, President-elect Obama
I pray you do not waste
Your office reading kiddie drama--
One´s precious time misplaced.

There´s no reason that little brats
Ought see the president:
But on affairs of state, now that´s
How your time ought be spent.

It is no good to play the clown
A-reading Jack and Jill:
Not London bridges falling down
When towers take a spill.

It is a serious enterprise
And most important task:
As president, sir, please act wise
And grownup-like, I ask.

Kiddies don´t need that much attention
From such an office-holder,
Fate of the free world--should I mention?--
Is resting on your shoulder.

.