Monday, May 25, 2009

Take: The movie

Take: Starring Minnie Driver and Jeremy Renner.

Not a bad drama. This is what I found interesting:
Most prisons will not allow victims to meet with their offenders.

RESTORATIVE JUSTICE is a worldwide effort that encourages victims and offenders to meet. The program forces offenders to give a face to their crime, to feel remorse, and to understand the true repercussions of their actions.

This year over 700,000 inmates will be released from prison. More than 50% will be re-incarcerated within 3 years.

Where Restorative Justice is allowed to work, the re-incarceration rate drops to as little as 8%.
There’s a lot more information on that @ www.TakeJustice.org

More @ www.restorativejustice.org

Trailer


Apparently she writes music and sings too. This played over the credits: Coming Back to Life.
__________
Addendum:

On the subject, I recently had an experience that taught me a way to avoid judging people unnecessarily. I started a thread on the subject at SoulForce, highlighting my experience. The gist of it was this:

~I went to Blockbuster and an SUV stopped right behind my parked car and in my path. As I was making my way to the store, and angrily walking around the back of the truck, I saw that two people were crossing in front of the truck, and that that was why they were stopped.
---
That sort of thing has happened before, but this time it had more of an impact. I learned that too often, there are concrete reasons, that I may not know about, as to why people are mean sometimes (and yes, I’m including horrific acts). They may have been abused as a child, or just gotten in a fight with someone, it doesn’t matter, the point is that there’s a reason for their behavior. I certainly know this is true in my case, as I’m sure anyone can tell from my angry posts.

Whether or not the story is true, I’ve always aspired to be like Jesus as far as practicing the Golden Rule in every area of my life - including loving my enemies. By not judging the person, I avoid unfair condemnation of them, and in a very practical sense, I avoid not holding onto soul-destroying grudges. I’ve just started doing this, so I have a ways to go before it becomes habit.

This approach applies to other situations as well. For the past few weeks, A pair of ducks had been making a lot of noise outside my window. A few days ago I finally had had it and chased them away. As I went back to see if there were any more ducks still there, I saw that she had been sitting on a clutch of eggs the whole time, and that they were mates! I was mortified.

Fortunately she’s back now, and the lesson was brought home again…this time by a duck.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this article I also like website with flash designing specially the intro part of the website is so attractive Add, add your website in www.directory.itsolusenz.com/